Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Facebook Quotes

I haven't had an active facebook account for a few years (since August 2009, to be exact). I decided to deactivate my account after not being thrilled that the site was no longer the tighter-knit college almmni and law school network for which I had signed up. I still log in every now and then to check out photos or view invites - and may be back on again at some point, but right now I'm content just communicating with people by text or e-mail (and the occassional phone call), or using a couple other social networks and my blog. I'm generally good at keeping in touch with people, and I figure my real friends know how to contact me outside facebook.

I was recently logged in to view pictures, however, and looked at my profile. A major feature of the "old school" facebook  profile was the "Favorite Quotes." I remember a period a few years ago when I would read quotes I liked and say "oh, I HAVE to put that on facebook!" Over time, the quotes on my page went from one or two to several, as did others'.

Looking back at my quotes, I was surprisingly fascinated by the number and quality that I had amassed. Most are verses (and, truth be told, I have countless other favorites not included, such as 1 Cor. 2:9, Jeremiah 29:11 and Romans 15:4 to name just a few, lol), but the ones that I put up had something to do with circumstances in my life at the time I added them, or express hopes or  guidance for approaching the future. There are also a few somewhat humorous ones (at least to me). I thought them all worth sharing here. I hope you gain from my facebook quotes too!

...because she judged Him faithful who had promised.
~Hebrews 11:11b

If you surrender, God's will will track you down.
~Tony Evans

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
~1 Corinthians 9:24-27

I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.
~ King David, 2 Samuel 24:18-25

Let's not forget that some of God's greatest mercies are his refusals. He says no in order that He may, in some way we cannot imagine, say yes. All His ways with us are merciful. His meaning is always love.
~Elisabeth Elliot

The [Bible was] not given to increase our knowledge but to change [us].
~D.L. Moody

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the well-spring of life.
~Proverbs 4:23

Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established.
~Proverbs 4:26

Wise women understand that character is the crucial building block [for] the foundation of a well-lived life. Character is built slowly over a lifetime. It is the sum of every right decision, every honest word, every noble thought and every heartfelt prayer.
~Unknown

Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time (I really like the hot chocolate reference:)).

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
~Psalm 90:12

Never cry over someone who wouldn't cry over you.
~Lauren Conrad on The Hills, reminding me of one of my favorite quotes. It's a rule to live by, ladies!

To pray 'the prayer of faith' we must first of all study our Bibles intensely that we may know the promises of God-- what they are, how large they are, how definite they are--and just exactly what is promised.
~R.A. Torrey


I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think of. For to have been thought about--born in God's thoughts--and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest, most precious thing in all thinking.
~Margaret in "David Elginbrod" by George MacDonald

...Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! ~ Mark 9:24b

No comments: