Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good Eats

On this Sunday mornin', I just wanted to pass on a few message series that I’ve been listening to recently.

 "WORK AND WORSHIP"

This sermon by Mark Driscoll is about the need for all Christians to have a sabbath, a day of rest (which, ironically, I listened to while I was supposed to be taking an afternoon off, but ended up doing housework tsk tsk). Anyway, I think it was great encouragement to intentionally build time for rest in our 24-hour, online world – as God intends for us, and was the best treatment of the topic that I’ve heard in a while. You can check it out here, or on iTunes, Marks Hill Church: Mark Driscoll Audio > Work and Worship, September 5, 2012.

"DECISION NOW"

At my church, we’ve been doing a fall church-wide study on the book of Proverbs on Sunday morning and in small groups called “Decision Now” (to coincide with the election). Our colors are red, white and blue, the candidates are Wisdom and Folly, and our slogan is “Vote 4 Wisdom” (we have buttons, stickers, t-shirts and all)! I’ve been involved in planning the campaign (I guess you could say I’m on message control), and it’s given me the opportunity to study the book of Proverbs more in depth, which is something I’ve been wanting to do since last year. It's great how God gave me this opportunity! You can check out the message series here, or on iTunes , Podcasts > The Bridge DC > Decision Now. The series continues until early December.

"MEN AND MARRIAGE," Parts 1 and 2

I heard two messages by Pastor Scott Nickell of Flatirons Community Church that I think are a very culturally relevant and biblical  treatment on men and marriage that is often missing. The first message is on single men; the second on married men.

Although it’s a great series for men specifically, I think it’s good for women to listen to as well. As a woman listening, it was a good reminder of the differences that God intended for men and women in a world where they often get diminished in the name of progress, but also was a note that men have emotional needs too that God intends for women to be sensitive to in dating and marriage relationships. I think this can be challenging because of communication differences (which can sometimes seem more like chasms, lol) that can create conflict even where unintended, but, ultimately, as the man initiates communication, the woman should be sensitive to his needs and respond lovingly. I came away from the message thinking that this needs lots of practice, and can’t be accomplished without God. I’m challenged to pray more for both single and married Christian men specifically, and for Christian marriages. But above all, I rest in Proverbs 127:1 - "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.” It makes me hopeful because, when we turn to Him, God in His power shows us how to love like He does.

God, please create – and save – our marriages; you’re the only one who always knows just what do. This is my heartfelt prayer – Amen!

You can check out part 1 here, and part 2 here, or on iTunes - Podcasts > Flatirons Community Church: Audio Podcast (Choose the one with the orange icon; there is more than one)> Men and Marriage, January 29 & February 5, 2012. It's also part of a larger series on men called "Reverse Engineering."

1 comment:

Maleeka said...

Amen Sis. I have subscribed to the Flatirons Community Church's podcasts. Thank you for the link. I appreciate Proverbs 27:1 verse and the context it was used in. God bless you.