Saturday, July 21, 2012

Munchies In A Minute: Bible Translation, The Church and Song of Songs

I just have a few minutes, but I really wanted to pass on a few resources that have been on my mind. Per the title, here’s my attempt to write one of my shortest blog entries ever (let’s see how I do)…

A User’s Guide to Bible Translations: Making the Most of Different Versions by David Dewey – My dad got this book for me at Christmas after the conversations we’ve had about Bible translations. Previously, I’ve shared my interest in the topic, here. It’s been a really informative, in depth look at the history and methods of various Bible translations. I am about halfway through – and think it’s a great tool for doing just what the title says: making the most of different versions. I will definitely be blogging a full entry about it when I finish!

Mark Driscoll Messages: At the moment, Pastor Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle is one of my favorite pastors to listen to online (He’s the one who preached the “Real Marriage” series that I blogged about a few months ago, here). There are two more message series in particular that I've listened to recently:

"The Seven" (click here to listen): About God's letters to the seven churches in Revelation. Driscoll preaches the messages from most, if not all, of the actual church locations, and provides context about the church's current state (a number of which no longer exist, for various reasons). I’ve listened to all of the messages, which have reminded me how relevant scripture is to the church today, and the need to pray earnestly for the body of Christ! I'm also reminded of the fact that I'd like to visit some of the areas (especially Ephesus!).

"The Peasant Princess: A Love Story from The Song of Songs" (to listen, click here): A fresh take on this book, which many pastors don’t touch (although I personally have listened to a few series on the topic, along with blogging through it, so I have probably said this before while sharing different message series, lol). I’ve only started message three, but I’ve gotten a lot out of the series already. The first part of Message One is framed by the “Sex as God, Gross or Gift” perspective later shared in the “Real Marriage” Series, but most of it has different content about biblical romantic love. A highlight for me so far is Driscoll’s mention of the five love languages in the second message, one of my favorite topics, which I blogged about a few years ago, here. I think they are a great tool for relating to each other in love and communicating better.

However, in the second message, Driscoll also makes some comments about husbands, wives and working outside the home that are controversial. But the important, relevant barometer is what the Word of God says about what he says, not culture – although I can think of a few modern changes in demographics that I think he could have addressed in the context of scripture but did not, such as delayed marriage (e.g., that, statistically, people are getting married later, and the differing perspectives about the meaning of being “financially secure” and able to provide for a family that sometimes come up between men and women, for example). I also am not necessarily agreeing with the lines he has drawn; I would need to do a study specifically on this topic to know whether I agree on exactly where to draw the line, but I do agree with the underlying biblical principles he presents (which I am not going into detail about in this "minute" entry, lol). Anyway, I do still think that this message is worth listening to, and looking forward to hearing the rest of the series!

Okay, with this last topic I managed to write more than I wanted today (but I’ll still keep the title – and try again next time)! If you’d like to listen to any of the messages mentioned, just click on the link in the section above (on the web site, you'll have the option of listening to or watching each message, including from an iPhone).

As I conclude (finally), I’m reminded of 2 Peter 1: 3-11, about the need for us to constantly seek ways to “add” to our faith so that we grow in Christ and be effective for Him. Let’s constantly consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Feel free to share other resources – and happy listening, and reading!

No comments: