Saturday, June 25, 2011

Photo Opp

I don’t usually put up photos, but I’m really exited about the one here, which is of me and my little brother. There’s a bit of background that I’ll share…

For months my mom had been wanting to take a family photo (which also includes my dad and two siblings). Well, about February of this year, I got one of those Living Social "Daily Deals" for like 75% off the price of a photo shoot and several prints. Thinking this was a great opportunity to get the desired family portrait, I purchased the deal. The expiration date was a few months after, on June 24.

Naturally, these types of things that take schedule coordination can easily end up unused. We already knew we’d have to wait until at least May, when one of my siblings would be back in town for the summer. Then, some weeks each of us were in and out of town, which further pushed the date back. Before we knew it, June 23 - the only day we were all available to take the photo before the deadline - had arrived.

To meet the 24th deadline, I had spent approximately one week beforehand booking, and rebooking, to meet various schedule conflicts and requests, which took shuffling on all of our parts.

But, alas, only one other family member made it to take the photo, which would be, of course, my self-proclaimed protégé, my little brother (as many folks know, I am always talking about him. It’s in part because he is the only person in my family younger than me, whom I watched grow up and hand in “raising,” if you will, although we are just shy of three years apart. The other, related reasons are the fact that he listens and responds to what I say, values my opinion, and in many ways has a similar sense of humor. He also has just generally grown into a good, God-honoring human being with his own personality – i.e., not just like mine. You can’t help but sing the praises of someone with those characteristics!)

Anyway, others in the fam did make efforts to attend. And, I suppose, a 40% attendance is better than just me, for that matter. And the photos really did come out well (which is why I am sharing one of them)!

Perhaps I should take my little brother’s advice and just wait for my parents to plan a shoot next time. The "silver lining," I suppose, it that the whole family actually liked the picture and has put at least one in “his, or her, respective wallet,” lol. My dad also came to the studio in time to help select the photos, and my mom requested copies for both of her most-used purses. And it will be added to our walls! The contributions, or lack thereof, of any others “shall not be enumerated herein”:).

Relating this post to my blog theme, I’m thankful for God giving me such a great family. There’s a lot of love and forgiveness (As in, the forgiveness I have extended for such a transgression as missing a family photo). As James 1 says, every good and perfect gift comes from above. My fam is no exception!

Until the next opportunity, we will settle for this one...

1 comment:

diamondintheruff said...

Love it! What a beautiful photo.