Monday, June 13, 2011

LOVELY

I love modern worship music, as I’ve shared before. Over the last few years, it’s really come to resonate with me. We have timeless worship songs in the form of traditional hymns and spirituals, which are wonderful ways to glorify God in song, but I love how contemporary worship is praising God in our own language. I appreciate how these artists translate Scripture into tunes that give God glory just the way we talk to Him today. It’s such a reminder that no era, no tradition, has a monopoly on methods of exalting the Creator with music. All nations, tribes and tongues can sing praises to the King of Kings in their own speak. And one day, believers from all over the world will be in heaven worshipping together as well. How awesome!

There’s one song in particular, Lovely, that I’ve been meditating on – in praise to God, and in thankfulness for the fact that He accepts worship from my heart in my own language. Lovely captures what I feel for God – He’s so amazing, I try to find the words to say about Him, but I can’t do Him justice with even my best ones. He’s just so…marvelous. Here are the lyrics to Lovely (and the music here).

I watch Your wonders fill the sky
Over the mountains reaching high
The same majesty floods my life
I stand in awe

Lovely, there is none more lovely
In all the universe, there is no one lovelier
Worthy, there is none more worthy
I try to find the words, there's so much more Your worthy of

Up on the cross with open arms
The love of God reaches far
The same majesty floods my heart
I stand in awe

As long as I live, I'll praise You
Name above all, be lifted high
All of my days, I worship You
I worship You

Lovely, You are lovely
There is no one, there is no one more worthy
You are worthy
I try to find the words, there is no one lovelier

No comments: