Saturday, June 25, 2011

Desert Song

I do intend to go back to reflecting on my read, but recently I’ve had a few other thoughts on my mind. One of them is about another worship tune called Desert Song. It has such rich meaning, but, like a lot of Contemporary worship songs, it can be hard to miss the meaning if you don’t listen closely. Desert Song has had more impact on me recently as I’ve contemplated the meaning more.

It’s about praising God in trials, “deserts.” It begins, “this is my prayer in the desert, when all that’s within me feels dry.” In the last few months, I've had a lot of discussion within The Body about some of the common trials we face. Unemployment; rejection from college or grad school; waiting to find a husband or wife; waiting to adopt children; having a physical disease; trying to lose weight; dealing with family issues; fights with friends – these are just a sampling of the many challenges that can cause our lives to feel like a vast, dry wasteland.

Yet none of the trials we face should cause us to lose confidence in God. The chorus of Desert Song reminds us: “All of my life, in every season, you are still God, I have a reason to sing; I have a reason to worship.” A verse of the song also says, “This is my prayer in the battle, when triumph is still on its way. I am conqueror and co-heir with Christ, so firm on His promise I’ll stand.”

Those words are so powerful! We often get depressed in trials because we forget who God is. When we recognize that He is still the Creator, still sovereign – and who we are in Him – it should cause us to exalt Him in all circumstances - and see ourselves lifted far beyond them.

Colossians 1: 15-17 (verse 17, which I often quote), says this about Jesus' dominion over all:

“ The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”

Romans 8, which talks about us being co-heirs with Christ and is referenced in Desert Song, says that those who have accepted Him do not suffer in vain: 17 “Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”

And what is that ultimate glory that we’ll experience as heirs? 1 Corinthians 4: 17-18: “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” Ultimately, all suffering ends with an eternal place in Heaven.

On earth, we fight trials with God’s promises. Praising through challenges – rather than focusing on pain – is why some of us thrive in struggle, and others crumble.

In addition to the ultimate glory that we have in Christ, we can also be thankful for a God who still loves to deliver us from our trials here on earth. In Desert Song, God lifting us out of the storm by removing the trial is referred to as the harvest. Yet the song reminds us that the desert should positvely affect our harvest: “This is my prayer in the harvest, when favor and providence flow. I know I’m filled to be emptied again, the seed I’ve received I will sow.”

It’s very easy in trials for us to think that “If God just removes my struggle, then my life will be wonderful or complete." But we forget that Jesus promises that we’ll face trials throughout life. One part of John 16:33 says, “In this world you will have trouble.” (NIV) But Jesus doesn’t end there. In that verse, he adds, “but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (KJV). We have to recognize that even if our suffering is removed, our lives will not be perfect. In fact, some other struggle will probably rise to take its place. Or sometimes, the "deliverance" is not in God removing the struggle, but giving us the Grace to accept it.

In spring or winter, desert or green pasture, we give God glory for who He is – recognizing that He knows best. Also, as He delivers us from our trials, we take His faithfulness to “the Bank” by using what He's taught us in that struggle to help us the next time we face another one. By praising we also grow in our faith and our witness to the world. Ultimately, our life as Christians is not just about ourselves, but also representing Him with boldness in our world. A trial is nothing more – nothing better – than a chance for God’s glory to be revealed publicly. That’s pretty awesome!

Here are the lyrics to desert song. Even if it may not be your style, you might also want to listen to it – there’s so much power in the words.

"DESERT SONG" LYRICS

Verse 1:
This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides

Verse 2:
And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

Chorus:
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain

I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

Verse 3:
And this is my prayer in the battle
And triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

Bridge:
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

Verse 4:
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be empited again
The seed I've recieved I will sow

1 comment:

diamondintheruff said...

Your blog posting was so meaningful and right on time! My desert seems to be quite dry and I ask God "What is my purpose now and are you still there?" But deep within I know he is there and still care. I know He is the only one I can depend depend on during these desert seasons.