Monday, October 04, 2010

Love is Patient

I’m passing on messages from my church’s “Love Revolution” series, during which we’re looking at the characteristics of unconditional, agape love described in 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7.

I was really convicted by yesterday’s message on the loving attribute of patience – for me, in the context of friendship. One of the main texts was 1 Thessalonians 5: 14-15:
14We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. (NASB)

Here’s the passage in the NIV:

14And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. (NIV)
For each category of person listed in verse 14 and enumerated in the message: The Unruly, The Fainthearted and The Weak (NASB), I thought of at least one friend I could be more patient with – in speech, attitude or action. As I’ve said before, patience is not a virtue even remotely natural for me. But it’s also the area God works on in me the most.

One of the reasons we should be patient that is addressed in the message is the fact that God is so patient with us. I am always reminded of Psalm 103: 8-10:
8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
God’s patience leaves us no excuse but to show love by being patient with others.

To quote the message, because God is longsuffering with you, for those in your life who continue to “test” your patience, "please continue to hold." Here’s a link to the message...happy listening!

No comments: