Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I'm Devastated

I've always had a thing for television newsmen. It's the journalism connection; I love a guy who can moderate a symposium, conduct a good interview or emcee an event. I can't list any television favorites per se, but there is one newsman who has always stood out: Tavis Smiley. He has such a unique way of expressing himself, and asks amazing questions. Not only has he been on my list of people to meet for years, I'll also admit that for years I've had this HUGE crush on him. And, in my far-fetched field of dreams, I've fantasized about us meeting and falling passionately in love (but not at first sight; I believe only in infatuation at first sight). Anyway, I recently watched him being interviewed on C-SPAN and had my heart broken when I heard some horrible news: Tavis confessed to being "close" to marriage.

He didn't give many details. He was discussing his book What I Know for Sure, released in October. It's about his life lessons. The interviewer asked where he was in life now; particularly, whether he would be getting married in 2007. Although he didn't agree with the time forecast, he did say "we are getting close" to that point. I didn't even know he was in a relationship! Friends and I had debated whether he was gay. I had never believed it, and held out hope that my belief would count for something. At least in a way I've been vindicated, and I may even be owed a lunch or two. But being right provides only small solace. Now that my prince is taken, I guess it's back to reality. I suppose I can give the common man a chance...

No comments: