Monday, September 27, 2010

This I Know*

Today (technically yesterday, since I'm writing this after midnight, although it's still Sunday to me) God has really been reminding me of His love so deeply and tangibly. At church we started a series called “Love Revolution,” about how to live authentic love in all of our relationships. I also attended another service just this evening where we discussed grasping the contours of His Love – the essence, the measure, the freedom and the security of It, expressed in Romans 8:31-39. We also sang one of my favorite hymns, “When I Survey The Wondrous Cross.” Additionally, I had a few discussions about showing love.

Throughout these experiences today I found myself pondering the meaning of God’s love, silently. I had no real emotional reaction to it - I just reflected on it.

But when I got home and started preparing for a long day tomorrow, verses and songs about God’s love just started filling my mind. It’s like suddenly I felt God whisper, in a breath, “ Seyi, I love you.” And I became overwhelmed with the feeling of His love, and the result was tears.

Probably the most humbling, hitting biblical truth for me is that the God of the Universe really wants a relationship with me. He demonstrated the meaning of love in a single Act: giving His Son to die for me, just so I would have a way to reach Him. And if that were not enough, every day He deeply desires to spend time with me – show me how much He loves me. His love is so constant, so steady.

Father, who are we that you are mindful of us, that you care for us?

This band sings this wonderful song of worship about how much He loves us. It says He loves like a hurricane, and we’re the object of His affection – He sweeps us into it. The song continues: “Oh how He loves us, Oh how He loves.”

The only thing I can give a God who pursues me so passionately is me.

Yes, He loves me - and so love Him, too.

*Post #100.

No comments: