Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Metro Will Eat Your Purse

Okay, you know how people rush to get on the Metro as the doors are closing and stick their bags in the door to stop them? This is a friendly reminder not to do that.

This morning, some guy dressed in a fancy suit with a fancy briefcase made that mistake. In his case, both his arm and bag got stuck in the door. The conductor promptly reopened the doors to free his arm, but his bag dropped into the train car without him.

Because I was by the door, I tried to get his attention to quickly let him know that I would be taking his bag to Metro Center, but he didn’t look my way. Another guy across the aisle from me ended up grabbing the bag, but made no attempt to alert the owner he was doing so. That worries me. I tried to ask him what he was going to do with it, but a flood of Metro riders entering at the next station boxed me in.

But again, the lesson: The Metro does not care about you; they want your money, not your praise (have you checked out the Washington Post series on Metro incompetence? I think it was printed last summer. If you haven’t, google/Westlaw/LexisNexis it. What you read may shock you.). Beware: the system will steal your stuff.

No comments: