Sunday, May 09, 2010

Following Jesus

Recently I’ve been reflecting on how knowing Jesus is supposed to impact our lives as Christians. There are so many different ideas about how – and to what degree – faith in Christ should affect lifestyle. That question has led me to spend many moments evaluating not just my actions but, more fundamentally, the beliefs I hold that motivate them. The next several entries I’ll look at how I think faith is supposed to affect our approach to everything from church services and Bible study to trends in fashion and music – an unofficial “series,” if you will, although a break from the last couple formal ones I’ve done.

In some ways this next grouping of entries sounds like my blog generally – I’ve routinely hit many of the upcoming sub topics– but this time I want to be much more purposeful in addressing how I see the role of belief in our daily activity.

I know I am no theologian. I have been blessed to have some out-of-the-ordinary biblical training while attending Christian school, but I haven’t been to Bible College or seminary (at least not yet!). But that’s also going to be the point of the discussion – we don’t have to be theologians to devote ourselves to the study of our beliefs; in fact, it is a study that all believers are called to, and it is the very kind that will cause our faith to affect our lives in the most profound ways.

As I’ve been pondering the role of belief in lifestyle I was recently recommended a new book by Joshua Harris (originally of “I Kiss Dating Goodbye” fame in the 1990s Christian youth scene, and beyond) called “Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters.” It is about his faith journey. I have not started reading, but he said something on the back cover that I really connected with:

“The irony of my story is that the very things I needed [–] even longed for [—] in my relationship with God were wrapped up in the very things that I was so sure could do me no good. I didn’t understand why the seemingly worn-out words like theology, doctrine and orthodoxy were the pathway to the mysterious, awe-filled experience of truly knowing the living Jesus.”

A great biblical example on following Jesus, literally, are two short verses where Jesus calls two of his disciples, fisherman brothers Andrew and Peter, in Matthew 4:
19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
There was something about that man – and his purpose for their lives – that made them drop everything, on the spot, to go where He led them. Jesus made the same request to others during his ministry who did not make the same choice. But because the disciples said yes, they learned directly from The Master and many were used in the most extraordinary of ways – to spread The Gospel to the nations.

What these upcoming entries will not be is a critique of certain denominations. While I think denomination (or the lack of it, which in a way has become several denominations) can be hard to divorce from belief, I also think a true understanding of God– a kind of “Naked Gospel” if you will (which I am still exploring myself but think relevant in the context)-- is meant to transcend denomination and help all who believe walk in the full abundance Jesus intends.

On to exploring the meaning of life with Him...

No comments: